I am a peace journalist, peace activist, visionary and free agent. I enjoy traveling, meeting and interacting with people, telling their stories and practicing loving kindness. I speak about peace and teach peace to children, teens and adults. I lead peace conferences of the people. I'm always looking to collaborate with social change agents to bring about advances for the people on Earth.
Susan Beaver Thompson
Social Entrepreneur | Peacebuilder | Peace Journalist & Activist
Pioneer in the new field of Galactic Communications
Read my LinkedIn Profile here.
Woman of God. Social change agent. A liaison by nature. Visionary, vibrant journalist and entrepreneur with 25 years of experience in research, writing, editing, journalism, management, corporate and entrepreneurial marketing, business development consulting, and technology start ups.
Bold, creative and innovative. Have led and managed print and digital newsrooms. Have developed content strategy for publications, websites and blogs. Have managed on-site and freelance writers and editors. Enjoy teaching the journalism craft (including top-notch interviewing and questioning skills), encouraging and bringing out the collective best in a group.
Holds Google & Yahoo Professional Certifications in digital marketing and writing. Digital background includes: web site launches, posting to CMS systems (WordPress), SEO, blogging, photography, social media, videos and Google Analytics. Superior communication, presentation and networking skills. InDesign and Photoshop experience. P&L and budgeting experience. Excellent proofreading skills. Know AP style well. Excel in developing and negotiating alliances and partnerships.
Developing original content that benefits the people (and gives them a voice) is my passion and forte.
Representative Life Work
- Entrepreneur. In Las Vegas now launching two companies: Changing Vegas (a new platform that provides gaming and entertainment content for Millennials) and GoMOJOBaby! (a mobile journalism venture that provides eyewitness news and entertainment content on location).
- Mobile peace journalist and social change agent. On March 27, 2018, as part of #TripForPeace - I went back out on the road to hang with the people and tell their stories. Have been attending and covering peace events across America and writing a series of peace articles for social justice and peace-related publications and websites. Let's celebrate peacebuilders, change the dialogue from war to peace and make peace the #1 priority on Earth. Here is the article on USA Today about this journey. Here is the article I wrote this year in Peace Journalist magazine sharing what I've learned.
- Peacebuilder and peace teacher. Public speaker and workshop leader on peace, peacebuilding and peace journalism - for children, teens and adults. I also speak on mobile journalism #mojo. Facilitator of digital and in-person round table discussions using Open Space Technology (OST). Developer of platform for global dialogue and original peace-related TV and film projects. Promoter of #techforgood.
- Freelance writer on numerous platforms, including Storia. Established peace journalism team. See my writing at:
- Managing Editor for The Shenandoah Valley Herald, the oldest weekly paper in Virginia. Trained and motivated news, sports and sales staff. Wrote news, features, special sections and editorials. Developed materials for web edition. Won two Virginia Press Association awards (feature writing and editorial layout). Negotiated partnerships.
- Co-founder and Managing Editor of 7Bends.com, a regional news portal in the Shenandoah Valley. Responsible for content strategy. Wrote 500 optimized articles in a two-year period, including many investigative reporting articles. Created print supplements and web/print advertising packages. Negotiated partnerships.
- Taught research, writing and editing (including AP and MLA style) at Cape Fear Community College, Blue Ridge Community College, Shepherd University, Northwest Florida State College, William Penn University and Des Moines Area Community College.
- Former beat reporter (government and business) for Polk County News and weekly political columnist for Urbandale News. Wrote dozens of feature business profiles for The Marketeer, a Midwest magazine. Also have written movie and play reviews, and travel articles.
- Prior 15-year corporate career includes Management and front line positions in Marketing Communications, Business Development and Sales at TRW Information Services, Ernst & Young LLP, MidAmerican Energy, Sprint, Clear Channel, Hearst Media, the Air Force Armament Museum at Eglin AFB, and my own consulting firms. (I also ran the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year program for three years in Iowa/Nebraska).
- Former Chairman of the Iowa Lottery Board. Have served on venture capital and non-profit boards. Former chamber and economic development leader and Rotary member.
Education and Training
- Masters Degree, English, California State Polytechnic University Pomona, California, 1992.
- Graduate Leadership Program in Organizational Change Management, U.C. Irvine, 1987.
- B.A., Communication Studies, University of California, Santa Barbara, 1981.
I enjoy exploring, travel, reading, garage sales, dining out, and the Washington Redskins. Besides peace and social justice, solving homelessness is important to me. This includes the many refugees in the world.
Contact me at: surfsongusa -at- gmail.com.